With such an overwhelming repsonse we got for our first recipe, we're infinitiely thankful for all the love you guys sent! For our second recipe, we've decided to continue with the Asian theme... while also turning up the "heat". Read on for our popular Chicken Laksa Recipe!
How we "healthify" this?
*A. Removing the skin and using a mix of chicken breast and thigh lowers the saturated fat content and also results in an overall leaner meatbase.
*B. By replacing a large portion of the coconut milk with butternut squash, the fat content is reduced while retaining a creamy base sauce.
*C. By replacing the sugar/honey with peanut butter. Remember, though, to get PURE peanut butter; check the ingredient list to make sure ingredients are PEANUTS and in some cases, a good quality oil.
So let's jump into it!
- 1800 Grams Chicken Breast, skin removed - Hormone & Antibiotic free
- 500 Grams Asparagus
- 10 Grams Kosher Salt/Pepper
- 400 Grams Butternut Squash, skin removed* (keep the skin if it's organic)
- 400 Grams Coconut milk
- 1500 Grams Chicken Broth
- 5 grams Kaffir Lime Leaf
- 6 grams Ground Turmeric
- 10 grams Ginger root, peeled
- 14 grams Sesame Oil
- 15 grams Garlic, peeled
- 18 grams Fish Sauce
- 18 grams Tamari or gluten-free Soy Sauce
- 35 grams Peanut butter
- 40 grams Cilantro - Fresh
- 75 grams Red Chili
- 100 grams Scallions, cleaned
*Note: While we always recommend using better sourced/ organic products, this recipe works with whatever you have/ can find. At the same time, when product skins (such as lemon, orange, etc) are involved, this can be even more important as most pesticides are concentrated in the skin.
- Chop/grate the butternut squash into fine pieces.
- In a pot, boil the chopped squash with the rest of "Poaching (B)" ingredients until the butternut squash has become a puree of sorts; use a hand blender if necessary
- Blend all the "Paste (C)" ingredients together.
- Add blended "Paste (C)" ingredients to the "Poaching (B)" puree until till it results in a thick broth.
- Slice the chicken breast into 0.5/1cm thick slices.
- To remove the fibrous bits, clean the end of the asparagus and peel if necessary.
- Add the chicken and asparagus to the broth mix (#4 of preperation steps)
- Cook for 5mn and remove from the heat.
(if the broth is too runny for your liking, remove the chicken/asparagus and reduce to a simmer)
- Plate with a side of vegetables, zoodles, jasmine/brown rice; whatever suits your diet and fancy!
- Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it!
- Devour :)
Photo by Alpha
Want to see a particular recipe featured? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cooked up one of our recipes? Let us know the outcome or tag us on Instagram @fitthreesg
Subscribe to FITTHREE Stories
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox